Sunday 1 September 2013

Three Things... Jersey Knit

Have you ever tried sewing with jersey knit?

It is a knit fabric which has stretch to it and is great for leggings, t-shirts and dresses.

If you haven't sewed it before then can I suggest that you start by reading these tips. Sewing with knits is not difficult, but it is definitely a different technique and a few small tips (such as using the right needle and stitch) can make it significantly easier.

If you're looking for some inspiration what to sew with jersey knits, I've got three suggestions for you"
Photo courtesy of:  Icandy Handmade
I love the idea of sewing a light weight jersey cardigan for myself. As an added bonus, I found a tutorial for a childrens cardigan- this would be so cute in some of our fun patterned jersey knits don't you think!?
Photo courtesy of: Made by Rae
I have not made a flashback skinny tee myself, but I have heard rave reviews from those who have! Its a really clear pattern with lots of instructions. The only note of caution to add is that this really is a skinny tee, so if in doubt, make a bigger size!

Finally, jersey knit is perfect for making girls leggings. You could easily use the same method to make pyjama bottoms if you prefer. A quick and easy project!

So what do you think? Are you brave enough to give sewing with jersey knit a try?





No comments:

Post a Comment