What I am making for my Mum this Sunday
- Jamie from The Cake Eating Co.
|Raspberry Chocolate Heart|
Raspberry Chocolate Heart
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Line a high sided baking tray with baking paper.
- Whip eggs and sugar together until a thick ribboning foam is formed.
- Triple sieve the flour and cocoa. Fold gently through the eggs and pour into the lined tin. Spread evenly over and bake for 6-8minutes. Remove and cool
200g raspberries (frozen or fresh)
- Heat raspberries with sugar until the sugar is just dissolved. Set aside to cool
200g dark chocolate (make sure it is a quality dark chocolate or it will not set)
- Cut up chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Boil cream, pour over chocolate and mix until emulsified.
- Cut a heart template out to the desired size using baking paper. Using this template cut out as many hearts from the sponge as you want layers.
|Ready to assemble|
- To put the layers together smear a layer of ganache over the sponge then over the smear some raspberries.
|Sponge layered with raspberries|
- Repeat until all your layers of sponge are layered. Leave the top layer without anything on it.
- Cover the whole cake in ganache, move into the fridge to set. Apply the ganache again, thicker and make sure it is a smooth finish. Set it again in the fridge.
|First layer of chocolate ganache|
- gently warm the ganache until it is liquid, pour over the cake to create a shiny finish.
|Smooth layer of chocolate ganache|
- Decorate it! Use shards of chocolate or pipe ‘Mum’ on it! I have used pink macarons around the side with cocoa butter painted zebra stripes finished in edible gold leaf.
|Ready to decorate|
|Raspberry Chocolate Heart decorated with macarons|
Jamie is one of our amazing Culinary Craft Workshop tutors.
What are you making mum for Mother's Day?