If you are anything like me I buy loads of mincemeat at Christmas time, worried the shops will run out and thinking I will be baking everyday - non of which actually occurs! So this is the perfect recipe for that left over jar!
This is a super simple recipe and it just tastes delicious even with coffee as Mr Hosking text'd this morning. I personally like a little butter spread on top, but it is lovely and moist all on it's own!
200g self raising flour
100g cold butter, cut into pieces
85g soft brown sugar
300g mincemeat (I used the Anathoth's one and mine had slightly more than 300g but what was that going to hurt?)
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 or 160 for fan assist (like mine)
- Line your loaf tin (I use a silicon one works like a dream - no lining necessary)
- Put your flour and cubed butter into a bowl and mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs or use your food processor or mixer
- Stir in the sugar
- In another bowl lighlty whisk your eggs and add your mincemeat
- Using a wooden spoon stir into the flour mixture and pour into your loaf tin
- Bake for 1 hour (cover the top with foil once it's brown to stop it burning) check that a skewer comes out clean
- When it's hot out your oven dust with icing sugar, leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes and then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely
Delicious on it's own or add some nuts on top, you could even try experimenting with some spices inside if you wish, but I love it just like this! So get making this Monday!